“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. 14For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.”
- Fear God: Not to be frightened but rather a respect for God.
- Keep His commandments. All that is contained in the scriptures, the will of God for the salvation of mankind. (e.g. Matt 22:36-44, 2 Tim 3:16-17)
- We are to spend every day of our lives in focusing on that DAY.
- Not to be confused with “the Lord’s day” (Rev 1:10). This is the first day of the week (Sunday). (Matt 26:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 16:1-2).
- But is the Day of Judgment. (1 Cor 1:8, 2 Tim 1:18, 2 Tim 4:8, 2 Peter 2:9).
- Romans 2:16 “in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.”
- God will judge by Christ:
- “The secrets of men”. (see Ecc 12:14)
- “According to my (apostles) gospel. (Matt 28:18-20 apostles commissioned by Christ to “make disciples of all men”, by “baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.”
- Again Christ is going to judge – according to the things done in our bodies here on earth, both the good and the bad.
- 1 Thess 5:1-2 “the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night”.
- 2 Peter 3:10 “the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night”.
- Matt 24:44 – Christ admonished His disciples to “be ready” because His return will be unexpected. (Jesus carefully explained this to the His disciples in Matt 24:42-44).
- Acts 1:11 the angel said to the apostles after Jesus ascended to heaven from their midst: “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”
- 1 Thess 4:13-18 (The order of the Judgement).
- The Lord will descend from heaven with a Shout. (Vs. 16)
- The voice of the Archangel. (Vs. 16)
- The trumpet of God. (Vs. 16)
- The dead in Christ will rise first. (Vs. 16)
- Then we who are alive will be raised to meet Him in the air. (Vs.17)
- We will always (i.e. for eternity) will be with Him. (Vs. 17)
- Matt 25:31-46
- When He comes in glory, He will be seated on His throne.
- All the nations of the earth will be gathered before Him.
- Will be separated like sheep and goats.
- He will say to those on his right hand - ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world’.
- But those on His left hand He will say ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels’.
- 1 Cor 15:42-44 our physical bodies raised.
- But a change will take place.
- The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in in-corruption. (Vs. 42)
- It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. (Vs. 43)
- It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. (Vs. 43)
- It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. (Vs. 44)
- Why the change?
- Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit in-corruption. (Vs. 50, see also Phil 3:21 and 1 John 3:2).
- The “twinkling of an eye”. (1 Cor 15:52) A tiny division of time, a beat of a birds wing, the batting of an eye:
- Paul says this is a mystery, (Vs. 51) we will not sleep (die) but will be aware of all of these things.
- The ‘Dead in Christ’ (only). Those who have been baptised into Christ (Mark 16:16) and are ‘faithful unto death’ (Rev 2:10, Romans 6:4).
- Phil 3:17-19:
- Follow the apostle’s example. (Vs. 17)
- According to the (NT) pattern. (Vs. 17)
- Not as ‘many who walk’ they are the enemies of the cross of Christ. (Vs. 18)
- Whose end is destruction. (Vs. 19)
- Whose god is their belly. (Vs. 19)
- Whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. (Vs. 19)
- 1 John 3:1-4.
- What manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! (Vs. 1)
- Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. (Vs. 1)
- Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (Vs. 3)
- Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. (Vs. 4) and therefore separated from God.
- 1 Cor 15:58 “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”
What is “that day?
When will the judgement take place?
What will happen on that day?
How long before the change takes place?
But who will be saved?